From Hope to Healing


During Marc's time at Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre in Toronto, Ontario, following a massive stroke and brain bleed, a friend suggested I start a blog. I'd been making notes each day and updating his progress on Facebook but after some thought, I realized that this could be something that Marc could later read to follow his journey back to health.

I thought it might also serve to help someone else. If it can help even one other person to recognize the signs of a stroke or to help a family member understand what happens during this battle, then it was worth recording.

This is Marc's story. It begins with our hope for his survival and follows his healing journey.

For those of you new to blogs, you can find previous posts in the Blog Archive on the right side of the page. Each post has the date so you can easily follow along day by day. Just click the one you want to read. This story starts on Saturday, December 8, 2012.

(To see the earlier blog posts, click on "2012" in the Blog Archive section and it will open the posts from December)

Monday, February 4, 2013

Monday, February 4, 2013 - News, News and More News

Silly me. 
I forgot to take a picture of Marc with his new rollator walker.  Along with the walker came some great news.  He can use it on the rehab floor without supervision.  He just needs someone with him if he decides to go down to the food court.  Therefore, new rollator walker = independence. 
We filled in Marc’s physio and OT teams on how the weekend went and they were impressed that he made his own sandwich and chopped onions.  Apparently he also told them that he was tired because I made him chop firewood and stack it beside the house. I’m pretty sure they didn’t believe that part.
To get him back, Shannon had him do some other household chores in preparation for coming home.  He swept the floor under the exercise bars and he used the broom and a heavy belt weight to simulate pushing snow with a shovel.  I thanked them and promised that I would keep up the physio by making him do all the housework and snow shovelling when he returns home.  That’ll teach him. 
To add to the news, we are going by ambulance transport to Sunnybrook tomorrow for a follow-up appointment with the surgeon who performed Marc’s neurosurgery and saved his life.  I have a lot of questions for him including exactly where the bleed was and it’s severity.  I was so glad that Marc was alive after his initial surgery that I didn’t think to ask any real questions that day.  But mostly I just want to hug the man who is responsible for Marc still being in my life. 
And if that weren’t news enough, Catherine also said that Marc can have an overnight pass on Wednesday.   He gets to come home right after his physio and the rescheduled music therapy that afternoon and I will return him Thursday morning.  It’s all part of the baby steps toward coming home for good. 
I think that was all the news for today. 
No wait.  There is one more little bit of news that I almost forgot.  I almost forgot to tell you that Marc will be coming home, for good, on Friday after his swimming therapy.
Silly me.

2 comments:

  1. Now THAT bit of new is worth a HaPpY DaNcE!

    HaPpY DaNcE! HaPpY DaNcE! HaPpY DaNcE!

    HaPpY DaNcInG AlL OvEr tHe pLaCe!

    HaPpY DaNcE! HaPpY DaNcE! HaPpY DaNcE!

    Woohoo! Almost party time!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super duper fantastic !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.