From Hope to Healing


During Marc's time at Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre in Toronto, Ontario, following a massive stroke and brain bleed, a friend suggested I start a blog. I'd been making notes each day and updating his progress on Facebook but after some thought, I realized that this could be something that Marc could later read to follow his journey back to health.

I thought it might also serve to help someone else. If it can help even one other person to recognize the signs of a stroke or to help a family member understand what happens during this battle, then it was worth recording.

This is Marc's story. It begins with our hope for his survival and follows his healing journey.

For those of you new to blogs, you can find previous posts in the Blog Archive on the right side of the page. Each post has the date so you can easily follow along day by day. Just click the one you want to read. This story starts on Saturday, December 8, 2012.

(To see the earlier blog posts, click on "2012" in the Blog Archive section and it will open the posts from December)

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Wednesday, February 27, 2013 - Letting Go

Going through a major medical crisis of any type is incredibly taxing.  From the onset of the medical crisis through the healing process, your life invariably changes in some fundamental way.  The person involved, and often their families, have to adjust to those changes. 
It’s like being plunged blindfolded into a large body of unfamiliar water.  You know the surface is up there somewhere but you can’t see it through that blindfold so you swim blindly upward trusting that you will survive.  You break surface, gasp for air and then are forced to swim for shore, wherever that may be.  At some point you realize you have to trust in the current to carry you back to solid ground. 
If you’re lucky, support will be there for you;  a safe place to land as you learn about your limitations and figure out how to set reasonable, attainable goals for yourself.  You learn that you have to let go much of what once was in order to make room for the new. 
Today during music therapy, Marc did just that. 
Rebecca taught Marc “99 Red Balloons” on the bass. Then she handed him some red balloons filled with helium.  As she played and sang, Marc wrote what he wanted to release onto each balloon, except for one. 


Fear


Stress


Worry


The Past
The final balloon was reserved for the message Marc wanted to send to the world.
Love

And then he let them go.




Time to welcome in the new.

3 comments:

  1. This message brought us to tears,but don't despair as you have done so much in such a short time

    Love Mom and Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marc, I have been observing your progress from a respectable distance and silently wishing you heartfelt encouragement subconsciously. Something moves me today to let you know the extent of the influence of your life on others has been, regardless of what society says should be.

    I remember about 20 years ago one of your many fav humorous comments on just about everything that was - simply silly, virtually impossible or just far fetched was… "It Could Happen?"

    Well, I have never really had a chance to tell you how proud of you I was in the past but not for the reasons that most people might suspect.

    History shows us that our past experiences have a way of seemingly preparing us for whatever our current bout of survival might be. Great to see that you were up for this one.

    You Marc, have changed the "It Could Happen" to "I'll Make It Happen!"

    From my heart Marc... WTG and Best wishes.

    SKR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marc still says, "It Could Happen!" lol But yes, he needs to change it to "I'll Make it Happen." Very true.

      Thank you for the kind words. Marc hasn't been able to read the blog yet, but will one day when the time is right. I read him your comment and he wanted to say thanks. Feel free to message him on Facebook. :)

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.