Marc is still doing well and is talking as much as he can. It’s very tiring for him and his voice is still so raspy. You have to lean in close to make out what he’s saying. I’m just enjoying sitting beside him for most of the day. The overflow unit is less strict about visiting and we are usually permitted right in and they don’t tend to kick us out to the waiting room as often.
At rounds the doctor said he could be moved to the step-down critical care unit. Apparently it’s still critical care but a little less intense. I was told that it was 1 nurse per 2 patients. Everything is progressing as it should, so again, no bad news is good news.
I asked about the confusion and was told it’s normal and will pass. I felt a lot of relief from that. I hope it’s true.
I missed the physiotherapist this afternoon. She came in while I was having lunch. I asked Marc what kind of things he did during the session and he said, “Oh you know. Standing. Sitting. That kind of thing.”
“What, no dancing?” I thought to myself. I knew that he’d imagined that he was standing but I checked with the nurse just to be sure.
“Not according to the notes,” she said. “He was dangling his legs over the edge of the bed, so maybe that’s what he thought was standing.”
I’m glad he thinks he’s standing. If he thinks he is, it makes it more likely that he will one day.
Marc keeps talking about going home and said he is going to ask them to let him just rest at home. I explain each time the topic heads in that direction that he needs to stay in the hospital for a while to heal. He reluctantly agrees until he wakes up from the next nap. Then it starts all over. It’s like watching the movie Groundhog Day.
The last time I came in the room, Marc woke from a nap and looked at me. “I miss you so much,” he said. “But it’s okay. Tonight I’m going to escape.”
I’ll alert the nurses. I’m sure they will want to know that the guy who can only use his right leg is planning to make a break for it.
At least he’s motivated. I have no doubt that one day he will be well and able to make a break for home for real.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.