From Hope to Healing


During Marc's time at Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre in Toronto, Ontario, following a massive stroke and brain bleed, a friend suggested I start a blog. I'd been making notes each day and updating his progress on Facebook but after some thought, I realized that this could be something that Marc could later read to follow his journey back to health.

I thought it might also serve to help someone else. If it can help even one other person to recognize the signs of a stroke or to help a family member understand what happens during this battle, then it was worth recording.

This is Marc's story. It begins with our hope for his survival and follows his healing journey.

For those of you new to blogs, you can find previous posts in the Blog Archive on the right side of the page. Each post has the date so you can easily follow along day by day. Just click the one you want to read. This story starts on Saturday, December 8, 2012.

(To see the earlier blog posts, click on "2012" in the Blog Archive section and it will open the posts from December)

Saturday, December 22, 2012

Thursday, December 13, 2012 - Survivor

When we arrived at Sunnybrook this morning, we were told that Marc had been moved to the overflow CRCU just down the hall because they needed his bed for a more acute patient.  There are only four beds in the overflow unit and they still have a 1:1 ratio of nurse per patient but Marc’s nurse is now behind a counter a few feet further from his bed.  It is still critical care but it’s a little less intense. It felt like he had graduated. 

Ashley gave Marc a paper and pen and asked him if he wanted to write something for us.  He wrote a shaky novel for us but I noticed he really didn’t look at the paper.  We managed to figure out “2 tubes” and at the end I saw that he had written “Sunnybrook”. 

Ashley asked if he was asking about the tubes in his mouth and he nodded yes.  We explained that one was for breathing and the other was a feeding tube. 

I asked him if he knew he was at Sunnybrook and he again nodded yes. 

Rounds this morning brought more good news.  It turns out the pneumonia had either gone or he’d never had it to begin with.  They agreed to take the ventilator out and start physiotherapy right away. 

It was so exciting to talk to Marc without that ventilator.  His voice was very raspy from having it in for so many days and his volume was really low, but we could talk! 

I had trouble understanding one of the questions he asked me.  I had him repeat it three times and then finally picked out the word “survivor”. 

“Yes, Marc,” I said.  “You are a survivor.”

Marc shook his head and tried again.  Suddenly I realized what he was trying to ask.

“Are you asking me who got voted off Survivor?” I asked. 

His eyes lit up and he nodded.  Oh, Marc. 

The physiotherapist was in and got him sitting at the edge of the bed for a few minutes.  My heart was in my throat watching her and the nurse manoeuvre him into position.  I was sure he’d go toppling off the bed onto his head.   He didn’t.  In fact, he even supported himself for a few seconds. He told the physiotherapist that he's a black belt, which tells me he intends to fight.
I think I floated home tonight.  Today was better than I could possibly have imagined.  It felt like Christmas. 

I can’t thank everyone enough for all the healing, prayers and financial donations that have helped Marc become a true survivor. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.