Marc is my new hero. He actually called me today with good news. He had remembered how to work the phone after practicing yesterday. He asked me to bring pajama pants, socks, t-shirts and running shoes because he will be wearing them for physiotherapy. He said he met his new physiotherapists today and they were impressed with his progress so far.
Marc had called while I was on the way to the hospital, so I turned around to go pack his bag. As I was driving home, I thought to myself, “Is it possible that he might actually be walking soon?” The idea was sparked by his request for running shoes. I had just been looking at them in the closet the other day, thinking that it would be a very long time before he was able to walk again.
After I packed his bag and was about to head out the door, I happened to look down at the writing on the top of his bag:
There was my sign. It really IS possible. Even his gym bag was telling me so.
He also has a new lift to get him into a chair when he’s working with his physiotherapists.
He said he sat up for about 20 minutes today.
He also read the board across from his bed.
Today we discovered that Marc can no longer tell time on the clock on the wall across from his bed, so I worked with him to figure it out. He could get the hour but the minute hand was proving difficult to figure out. Once he gets past 20 after the hour, it gets quite challenging. I showed him how to count by 5's for each number to get the minutes and by the end of the day, he did it perfectly. We were amazed at how quickly he relearned that skill. I'd catch him staring at the clock quite often and he said he was practicing.
Marc is my hero because he just took it all in stride, didn't get frustrated and kept working at it until he got it. He also mastered the television today.
I couldn’t help thinking about the words on his gym bag: It's Possible!
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.