Good news and continued successes seem to be the trend these days.
Today’s new success was the 30-second balancing act that Marc did in physio under Shannon’s supervision.
That was just the part I videotaped. The rest of the session was very impressive as well. His balance and muscle control has improved yet again. It’s so exciting to see day after day.
Marc asked Catherine on his way out if he could use his walker by himself to go to the bathroom from now on. He got the walker in his room last week but could only use it with myself or a nurse with him. Or at least that was what was supposed to happen.
Catherine asked, “Is this to make it legal?”
Turns out that a nurse had reported to Catherine how well Marc did all weekend walking around the unit on his own with the walker.
Busted. Again. Oh, Marc.
Marc had to do a demonstration for Catherine before she would grant permission.
He won. He is now allowed to use the walker on his own but only to go to the washroom. As she explained, it is not without risk. He is allowed to use it outside the room only when I am with him or he's with a therapist. She also told him that I have the power to revoke his walker privileges if he breaks the rules. Maybe that will scare him into behaving himself.
Catherine and I were talking about how well Marc is doing and I asked if that was due to his positive attitude. She said it was in part but she also told me that stroke patients who have a hemorrhagic stroke (bleed) tend to heal a bit differently from those who have had an ischemic stroke (blockage). Those who have a had a bleed tend to do have a slow start but will then take right off and heal quickly. Everyone heals at different rates, depending on the severity of the bleed, location of the bleed and other factors. She said that Marc is healing very quickly right now, which is so noticeable each day.
I really can’t believe how well he’s doing in only seven weeks. Marc balancing on a half ball even last week was unthinkable, in my mind. Today he managed it without a problem.
I think the real balancing act in the next few weeks will be allowing Marc to do more on his own without supervision, while still ensuring his safety.
Let’s see how Marc balances that.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.