From Hope to Healing


During Marc's time at Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre in Toronto, Ontario, following a massive stroke and brain bleed, a friend suggested I start a blog. I'd been making notes each day and updating his progress on Facebook but after some thought, I realized that this could be something that Marc could later read to follow his journey back to health.

I thought it might also serve to help someone else. If it can help even one other person to recognize the signs of a stroke or to help a family member understand what happens during this battle, then it was worth recording.

This is Marc's story. It begins with our hope for his survival and follows his healing journey.

For those of you new to blogs, you can find previous posts in the Blog Archive on the right side of the page. Each post has the date so you can easily follow along day by day. Just click the one you want to read. This story starts on Saturday, December 8, 2012.

(To see the earlier blog posts, click on "2012" in the Blog Archive section and it will open the posts from December)

Sunday, January 27, 2013

Sunday, January 27, 2013 - Marc's Thank You Message

Marc was very proud that he found Facebook on the computer yesterday.  He decided that his first status update had to be a message of thanks to everyone.


Typing is still a bit of a struggle but Marc noted himself that writing the message helped with his left neglect. 
I’ve been telling Marc since he woke up at Sunnybrook about all the support we’ve been receiving in the way of prayers, healing energy, good wishes and financial donations.  It chokes him up to talk about it.  It chokes me up, too. 
I realized that unless you are friends with Marc on Facebook, you wouldn’t have seen this message and it is really for everyone.  He asked me to share it on the blog today. 
I, too, am overwhelmed by all the support and the outpouring of love throughout this journey.  I post a link to the blog every day on my own Facebook page and on The Marc Gratton Project  page that my friend Violet started for us when this first happened. Most of the wonderful comments end up under the post on my own page, so Marc and I wanted to let everyone reading this blog know how much we treasure your support.  I hear over and over again how some of you can’t go to sleep until you’ve read the day’s update.  I got this one done early for you today, so pleasant dreams!
I’ve had a lot of requests to make this story into a book and I believe I will do just that.  If our story can help others facing a similar situation, then it was all worth it. 
Marc and I talk often about the much needed financial support that has been coming our way.  You have no idea how much that has helped.  It’s still a rough road ahead in that regard but so many of you have made it much easier and a little less scary. 
Marc and I have talked a lot about how we wish we could repay everyone for all the kindness shown us during this time.  One day we will get our chance to at least pay it forward, I’m sure.
Until then, please know how grateful we are to all of you. 

1 comment:

  1. Your story is remarkable, and a true inspiration. You both are such role models, not only in this time of crisis, but as a reminder that we need to tend our relationships NOW.

    In a very significant way, you already ARE paying this forward.

    XOX

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.