I got a phone call from Marc this morning.
“Did you get my email?” he asked.
“I’ve been painting and I haven’t checked my emails in a while,” I replied. “Why?”
“I sent you an email this morning,” Marc said.
And sure enough, he did.
And sure enough, he did.
I cried when I read it. I knew the kind of effort that must have taken. The t.v.’s at RVH are on extension arms and include a telephone and internet. So far Marc has mastered the t.v. and telephone but the computer has been too difficult for his vision up until now.
“I’m glad you got it,” said Marc. “I can’t see the screen very well and I figured if you didn’t get it then I just sent a really nice note to some lucky person.”
I did get it and it was so welcome. I haven’t had a love note in over five weeks and I missed them.
The “firsts” just keep on coming and the things already relearned just keep improving. Today I noticed that his left arm is remembering to keep moving the wheel of his wheelchair for longer periods of time. I also noticed that he turned his head over his left shoulder when I waved to Ashley who was walking along the second floor balcony overlooking the food court. He saw her immediately and waved.
It’s the little things that count. The little things add up until they become big things. Like writing “I love you” in an email.

I'm teary, reading this. What a romantic heart Marc has!
ReplyDeleteBeautiful....
ReplyDeleteSandy, I have just finished reading all your blogs since the beginning of this journey. Thank you for sharing your pain, your struggles and your victories. These blogs help to celebrate each new first and recognize how far Marc has come in such a short time. My prayers continue to be with you and Marc.
Lynette
Thank you Lynn & Lynette!
Delete