This morning I got the most helpful message from my nephew’s wife. Kirsty is a physiotherapist at a hospital in Vancouver and works with patients who have gone through strokes or brain injuries similar to Marc’s.
Kirsty was concerned about the blog post from a few days ago in which the doctor said Marc should expect to get out of the hospital in two to four weeks. As she explained, too quick a discharge would deprive Marc of the intensive therapy he needs right now and is getting as an inpatient. This is the time “when the fastest recovery is taking place and when the most potential for change is occurring.” The P.T.’s and O.T.’s know this and do their best to make sure that the patient is getting everything they need before they are discharged. To deprive Marc of this would be a disservice.
That message was exactly what I needed to clarify the situation not only for me, but for Marc as well. I read him Kirsty’s entire message when we talked on the phone prior to my visit so he would have time to digest the information. By the time I got to the hospital for his physio, Marc was on board. Hard as it is to think of having to spend even one more day in the hospital, he now understands how important it is. He still wants out as fast as possible, but now his expectations are more realistic.
We discussed this with the physiotherapist and the assistant today and I think the whole session went better. Marc was more relaxed and focused and they knew that we understood why they weren’t anxious for the early discharge.
Motivating Marc is not the issue. It’s getting him to understand that slow and steady is okay. Today was about learning to find that balance in all areas of his recovery.
We also got to talk to the social worker for the floor. She is a wonderfully caring woman with whom Marc and I felt instantly comfortable.
Marc talked to her about his anxiety and OCD and that he thinks that he suffered from both before the stroke, but managed it by just keeping busy and taking charge of everything. The stroke seems to have amplified both to the point where we are all becoming quite aware of it. She explained that anxiety and OCD quite often go hand-in-hand.
We talked about ways to manage the anxiety and the social worker is going to speak to the doctors about anti-anxiety medication. I think that would really help Marc so he can focus on the healing that needs to happen, instead of worrying every little thing to distraction. I still can’t shake the feeling that perhaps his anxiety lead to his high blood pressure, which lead to his stroke. It only makes sense to get the anxiety under control so that he doesn’t repeat this cycle once again down the road.
Today I felt like I was finally beginning to really understand where we are in terms of recovery, what needs to happen next and most importantly, why.
With clarity comes focus and with focus comes results.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.