From Hope to Healing


During Marc's time at Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre in Toronto, Ontario, following a massive stroke and brain bleed, a friend suggested I start a blog. I'd been making notes each day and updating his progress on Facebook but after some thought, I realized that this could be something that Marc could later read to follow his journey back to health.

I thought it might also serve to help someone else. If it can help even one other person to recognize the signs of a stroke or to help a family member understand what happens during this battle, then it was worth recording.

This is Marc's story. It begins with our hope for his survival and follows his healing journey.

For those of you new to blogs, you can find previous posts in the Blog Archive on the right side of the page. Each post has the date so you can easily follow along day by day. Just click the one you want to read. This story starts on Saturday, December 8, 2012.

(To see the earlier blog posts, click on "2012" in the Blog Archive section and it will open the posts from December)

Thursday, January 10, 2013

Thursday, January 10, 2013 - Busted

I got an interesting phone call from Marc this morning that went something like this:
“Okay, so I wanted to make a little confession before you got to the hospital and Catherine told you.  I made an error in judgement yesterday morning and I walked to the bathroom by myself.  A nurse caught me.” 
“You did what?” I asked.  “Are you crazy?  You could have fallen!” 
“I know but at the time I was mad because I was over-tired and I just wanted to go to the bathroom.  The nurse was taking too long.  I found out she is going to tell Catherine and I just know Catherine will tell you this afternoon.  I thought it would be better to hear it from me first.  Catherine’s going to be so mad.” 
Catherine is Marc’s physiotherapist and I had no doubt that she’d be mad.  Marc has been told repeatedly that he is not to even stand without help because it’s just too dangerous. 
I spoke to Catherine before I saw Marc today and we both noted that Marc didn’t make this confession yesterday.  Clearly he thought he’d gotten away with it and the nurse told him today that she was going to rat him out.  If she hadn’t, we never would have known about it. 
Thankfully Marc survived that little transgression and hopefully he understands that it was a dangerous thing to do. 
He was well behaved in physio today and at the end of the session, he got to do another first. 

He had to have a band around his legs to keep his left leg from falling to the side, but other than that it looked like a normal stationary bike ride.  He rode for 10 minutes and said it felt like freedom.
As long as Marc doesn’t try walking unassisted again before he’s ready and doesn’t end up on his head as a result, I’m sure that real freedom will be here soon enough. 
I can’t wait to take a walk with Marc outside and one day watch him ride a real bike.  That will be freedom. 

2 comments:

  1. Whew! That'what we call a near miss: an accident that could have happened but didn't. I hope Marc scared himself safe. And if that didn't work, I hope he guilt himself safe.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.