From Hope to Healing


During Marc's time at Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre in Toronto, Ontario, following a massive stroke and brain bleed, a friend suggested I start a blog. I'd been making notes each day and updating his progress on Facebook but after some thought, I realized that this could be something that Marc could later read to follow his journey back to health.

I thought it might also serve to help someone else. If it can help even one other person to recognize the signs of a stroke or to help a family member understand what happens during this battle, then it was worth recording.

This is Marc's story. It begins with our hope for his survival and follows his healing journey.

For those of you new to blogs, you can find previous posts in the Blog Archive on the right side of the page. Each post has the date so you can easily follow along day by day. Just click the one you want to read. This story starts on Saturday, December 8, 2012.

(To see the earlier blog posts, click on "2012" in the Blog Archive section and it will open the posts from December)

Friday, January 11, 2013

Friday, January 11, 2013 - Brothers Unite

Marc looked a bit deflated when I joined him for physio today.  He told Catherine that his goal is to do stairs next week.  She had to explain that he is not yet ready for stairs but that as soon as he is, he will get to start working on that goal. 
We had a discussion today about insight.  Apparently it is very common for people who have suffered a stroke to have difficulty with insight into their own condition.  In Marc’s case, he seems to understand that he has had a stroke and that he has to relearn a number of skills, but he seems to think that he’s doing better than he is.  While he has improved immensely and very quickly since his stroke and hemorrhage, he still has a long way to go.  Marc would rather skip the boring stuff and get right to the end result.  We have to remind him daily that these little steps are so important to the end result he wants, which is a full recovery. 
Marc talked about his testing during his OT session today and although he doesn’t know what he scored, he believes he did exceptionally well.  He was using this as an argument for being able to go home sooner rather than later.  Catherine said that she had talked to Karen, the OT assistant, and he had actually had quite a struggle with this particular round of testing.  Again, this is his insight that comes into play.  He can’t recognize his own difficulties with tasks yet.
He did do pretty well with a balance test that Catherine gave him today, though.  He did better than I thought he’d do.  There is still a lot of work needed, but it is coming along.  Catherine told him that by the time she repeats this test in a week or so, she expects she will see a huge improvement. 
Marc’s mood improved a great deal once we were finished therapy.  He got to visit with his parents and his brother Andre in the food court.

Matching ball caps.  Marc's will fit once the swelling goes down. 

Andre lives in Montreal and arranged a few days off to finally see Marc in the hospital.  I can only imagine how hard that must have been to have to wait all this time to see him for himself. 
I know Marc has been very excited about this visit.  Tomorrow evening the two have a date to watch a football game in Marc’s room. 
It’ll be like old times and I think Marc could use a bit of that at this point.

2 comments:

  1. What a lot of vulnerability it takes to admit one's weakness. Who wants to prance about, declaring how far behind the goal they are?

    Although I understand the importance of being grounded in reality - or at least not being too far from reality - and you and the health care team are providing Marc with that perspective - what advantages are there for believing things are better than they are? Hope? The feeling that much success has been had already, which wards away the feeling of standing still? A strong need to BE healthy, right now, not just in the future?

    If Marc didn't have these desires, would he be as motivated? Is this nature's way of making sure he continues to strive?

    I've never had to deal with what you are dealing with, Sandy, and my questions are asked in all innocence. I'm curious about the biological imperative to choose living above all else, even caution.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry if I gave the wrong impression, Lynn Marie. I am very happy that Marc believes he is doing so well and yes, I think that is a very good way to be. What I was trying to say is that being unaware of one's abilities is actually a part of having a stroke. I didn't realize that and I'm just reporting it as I learn it. That unawareness can act for and against the patient, however, and they do need to learn their limitations so they don't hurt themselves.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.