From Hope to Healing


During Marc's time at Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre in Toronto, Ontario, following a massive stroke and brain bleed, a friend suggested I start a blog. I'd been making notes each day and updating his progress on Facebook but after some thought, I realized that this could be something that Marc could later read to follow his journey back to health.

I thought it might also serve to help someone else. If it can help even one other person to recognize the signs of a stroke or to help a family member understand what happens during this battle, then it was worth recording.

This is Marc's story. It begins with our hope for his survival and follows his healing journey.

For those of you new to blogs, you can find previous posts in the Blog Archive on the right side of the page. Each post has the date so you can easily follow along day by day. Just click the one you want to read. This story starts on Saturday, December 8, 2012.

(To see the earlier blog posts, click on "2012" in the Blog Archive section and it will open the posts from December)

Friday, January 18, 2013

Friday, January 18, 2013 - A Step in the Right Direction

This accomplishment actually happened two days ago.  When I realized what was about to happen, I was fumbling with the video on my phone and accidently turned it off right after I started filming.  I started to cry and everything got blurry so I didn’t notice until after it was all over. 
This afternoon he did it again. 

Marc walked unassisted and this time I held it together and captured it all on video.  He did even better today. 
He mentioned to us that he can feel pain in the joints of his toes on his left foot.  It’s a “good” pain and all it means is that his foot is starting to feel more sensation. 
Marc was really tired by the end of today.  I think a week of huge accomplishments has taken its toll.  He took his first steps unassisted and climbed his first set of stairs.  Add to that all the practice he has put in between therapy sessions and you realize that the fatigue is justified. 
I saw this quote today and thought of Marc because I believe he has embodied this throughout his journey:  "It is our attitude at the beginning of a difficult task which, more than anything else, will affect its successful outcome." - William James

4 comments:

  1. So wonderful! I need a second box of kleenex

    ReplyDelete
  2. Incredible but true! I was pretty sure he would get it done this week. Awesome!!!

    André G.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We knew that you could make it .It's even more awesome when we see it on video .Keep up the good work.
    Love Mom and Dad

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.