From Hope to Healing


During Marc's time at Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre in Toronto, Ontario, following a massive stroke and brain bleed, a friend suggested I start a blog. I'd been making notes each day and updating his progress on Facebook but after some thought, I realized that this could be something that Marc could later read to follow his journey back to health.

I thought it might also serve to help someone else. If it can help even one other person to recognize the signs of a stroke or to help a family member understand what happens during this battle, then it was worth recording.

This is Marc's story. It begins with our hope for his survival and follows his healing journey.

For those of you new to blogs, you can find previous posts in the Blog Archive on the right side of the page. Each post has the date so you can easily follow along day by day. Just click the one you want to read. This story starts on Saturday, December 8, 2012.

(To see the earlier blog posts, click on "2012" in the Blog Archive section and it will open the posts from December)

Monday, January 7, 2013

Monday, January 7, 2013 - Marc, Unzipped


I think Marc is going to feel a few muscles he hasn’t worked in a while tonight.  Not only did they have him up walking with a walker today, with the help of the physiotherapist for his left leg, but he also received permission to forgo the pivot lift.  This means he can now transfer from the bed to the wheelchair or commode on his own.  He still needs a nurse with him for safety, but its one more step toward independence. 
All this new activity means rediscovering muscles that haven’t been used in a very long time.  I have a feeling he will welcome this pain. 
I spoke with his OT assistant and she said she had him doing simple puzzles and his homework was to do a word find puzzle.  She said that Marc’s perception is making these skills very difficult still and that he is unaware that there is even an issue.  Apparently this is normal with stroke patients.  I told her that I had found the same thing.  He really thinks that he is seeing things just fine. 
When I asked what I could do to help with that, she said that we all just need to remember to be on his left side as much as possible.  I have been encouraging him to look to his left frequently when he is in his wheelchair so he becomes aware of obstacles on that side.  He gets annoyed when I let him run into walls, but as long as he’s safe, hitting a few walls will hopefully remind him that left checks are a good thing and make him aware that there is indeed a problem with his vision. 
One of the highlights of Marc’s day was the removal of his staples.  He no longer has a “zipper” on the right side of his head.  His hair is growing back nicely and one day that scar will no longer be visible. 


Its funny how used to those staples and that incision mark I’ve become.  Oddly enough, I don’t see it as a flaw or something that was wrong. 
I’ve come to think of that scar as a symbol of hope and healing.  To me it looks like success.
 

3 comments:

  1. I love the title to this blog post. it's so evocative. In years to come, I am convinced that image will be a Marc and Sandy classic.

    I never knew, let alone understood, about the persistent denial someone with a brain injury experiences. I am finding all this so fascinating. It pulls on my heartstrings : it is so confusing for Marc and all his loved ones who visit. All these things we take for granted that are taken away in the snap of your fingers.

    It makes me grateful for the health I enjoy, and reminds me that taking a break, caring for myself, is the responsible thing to do.

    I continue to admire your combined courage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Lynn Marie. I didn't know about that denial,either. My mom's stroke was very different. I'd never heard of left neglect before this happened. I'm certainly learning a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Still, some things I think we'd rather not have to learn. :(

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.