From Hope to Healing


During Marc's time at Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre in Toronto, Ontario, following a massive stroke and brain bleed, a friend suggested I start a blog. I'd been making notes each day and updating his progress on Facebook but after some thought, I realized that this could be something that Marc could later read to follow his journey back to health.

I thought it might also serve to help someone else. If it can help even one other person to recognize the signs of a stroke or to help a family member understand what happens during this battle, then it was worth recording.

This is Marc's story. It begins with our hope for his survival and follows his healing journey.

For those of you new to blogs, you can find previous posts in the Blog Archive on the right side of the page. Each post has the date so you can easily follow along day by day. Just click the one you want to read. This story starts on Saturday, December 8, 2012.

(To see the earlier blog posts, click on "2012" in the Blog Archive section and it will open the posts from December)

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 - The Slow Return

The past few days I’ve noticed a change in Marc.  It’s subtle but it’s almost like he is back.  I’ve started thinking of him as less of a patient and more like my partner.  I can’t quite put my finger on it but he seems more like himself. 
The physio is still plugging along and I’m noticing little improvements every day, as I have been all along.  I notice little changes in this left neglect, as well.  It’s all improving daily in small ways that will lead to big changes in the future.
But that’s not it. 
I noticed yesterday that I’ve been talking to him more like I did before the stroke.  I’m even teasing him more and he is teasing back.  He and I are merciless with each other when it comes to teasing.  That’s slowly coming back.  I didn’t realize how much I missed it.
I’ve been having real conversations with him about things that are important.  Things that are important to us, at least.  I asked his opinion about something I planned to do in our kitchen and he gave his input. 
I realized today that until just a few days ago, we’d been talking about medical things and recovery and why he can’t come home yet.  And yesterday we talked about kitchen cupboard doors. 
It’s nice.  It feels like real life.  It feels like he’s ready for some real life.  He hadn’t been ready before, but now it feels like it’s time for real life to start creeping back in. 
Just over five weeks ago, our world changed.  I haven’t dared to think about what might lay ahead or what this new world might look like when all is said and done. 
I’m still not sure exactly what the future holds but today I realized that an important part of our old life was still there for me. 
My love, my partner, my best friend is still in there. 

3 comments:

  1. OMG Sandy, such a strong woman to be able to reiterate all of the days events to us to seem like it is just happening without effort. Thank you and keep strong in whatever faith, family, friends you have to keep it rolling. So happy to hear all of the positive news and you know you have many people behind you supporting all that you do. God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Sandy...I think you have future in literature. I saw my same old BRO when I was there, on a mental level...the rest will follow...say Hi to Gumby for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is such a sense of wonder in what you write. And gratitude. And optimism. And hope. I almost feel like a voyeur. Almost.

    I love your blog. It wraps me in your caring.

    It's very special.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.