From Hope to Healing


During Marc's time at Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre in Toronto, Ontario, following a massive stroke and brain bleed, a friend suggested I start a blog. I'd been making notes each day and updating his progress on Facebook but after some thought, I realized that this could be something that Marc could later read to follow his journey back to health.

I thought it might also serve to help someone else. If it can help even one other person to recognize the signs of a stroke or to help a family member understand what happens during this battle, then it was worth recording.

This is Marc's story. It begins with our hope for his survival and follows his healing journey.

For those of you new to blogs, you can find previous posts in the Blog Archive on the right side of the page. Each post has the date so you can easily follow along day by day. Just click the one you want to read. This story starts on Saturday, December 8, 2012.

(To see the earlier blog posts, click on "2012" in the Blog Archive section and it will open the posts from December)

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 - He's Got Legs...

Watching Marc work with Shannon today in physio, I couldn’t get ZZ Top’s song, “She’s Got Legs”, out of my head.  Maybe it was the subzero temperatures or perhaps just lack of sleep, but I heard this song over and over during their session. 
I think it’s because I’m amazed at the amount of muscle control needed for us to walk, or to simply stand, for that matter.  We don’t think about such things until they are gone. 
Marc did the stairs again in the library and I noticed even more control than last week.  It was only the second time on the stairs but it looked like he’d been practicing every day.  Come to think of it, I wouldn’t put that past Marc...
Back in the therapy room, Shannon had him work at the bars and put him through a variety of exercises designed to build up this muscle control. 

I love the look of concentration on Marc’s face when he’s working.  Attitude is everything.

Speaking of attitude, it’s little wonder that Marc has come so far so quickly.  I watched him today when Shannon walked away to get another piece of equipment and told him to sit and rest a minute.  He glanced sideways quickly to make sure she wasn’t watching and did a few more reps of the routine he’d been working on.   
We joke and say, “Give him an inch and he takes a mile.”  We have to warn him constantly about the dangers of doing too much or taking risks. 
Part of me loves that he is so willing to work and to push himself, but part of me worries that he will hurt himself.  There’s a fine line and Marc has a tendency to want to cross it on legs that aren’t quite in control yet. 
I’ll be so relieved when we get to the point in this journey where I don’t have to worry.  That’s why these seemingly mundane and boring exercises are so very important.  I love them because I know that they are going to make Marc strong and capable and not so likely to land on his head. 
I thank Catherine and Shannon for working so hard every day with Marc.  Because of them, one day he will walk proudly by himself once again. 
He’s got legs and he’ll know how to use them.

1 comment:

  1. "give him an inch and before you know it...he'll be walking a mile" :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.